Pig receiver-requirement of Fence around it

• AbhijitN
  • AbhijitN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #8563 by AbhijitN
Dear all fellow pipers,

Could you pls let me know why the fence is required to be kept all around the pig trap facility? I read this in of the company standards that says Pig trap shall be fenced.

I asked our Operation focal point & he says in European region it is a practice to control access as this is critical area.

Can you pls provide any logical reasoning behind this requirement or the fence is not required at all?

Here I am talking about the pig receiver inside the plant facility & not the remote areas like in case of cross country pipelines.

Greatful if you can share your thoughts at the earliest.

Thnx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7160 by Jop
There can be many reasons for fencing.

A. Security - An attempt at the prevention of theft or vandalism
B. Ownership - The separation or demarcation of ownership between the Owner of the Pipeline
and the owner of the area and or facilities outside the (Pig Trap) fence. A cross-country pipeline can enter the property of the Refinery but the ownership it the pipeline and the product in the pipeline belongs to the transportation (pipeline) Company until it has been metered.
C. Legal - Some Pig Traps Areas also include Accounting Meters to measure the flow for revenue recovery and or taxation.

You are right to ask for the reason.
Answers bring understanding, Understanding brings improved performance.

Do it once and Do it Right

• AbhijitN
  • AbhijitN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7162 by AbhijitN
Thanks for the quickest one Jop I am sure the reason is one of the above list. I will post the conclusion shortly.
Till then keep your thoughts/past experiences coming inn.

Thnx

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7163 by 11echo
I had a pipeline project recently where we had a number of branches coming into the main line, so we had to be able to "pig" thru each leg to the main-line. All the starting ends happened in existing facilities, these areas were not fenced individually, but contained in the facility fencing. The tie-in points at the main-line were in remote locations, and as JOP has indicated we fenced these areas! Security was the main driving force on this, although they are on oil-field properties, the public road was under a mile from these locations, so "anybody" could come to the site. Actually the fence won't stop a semi-determined individual, but they would stop "site-seers", which seems to be the main problem. OF interests, the client engineer first indicated they wanted these sites "lighted"! I had asked WHY? He indicated "what if" they wanted to pig at night!?? ...And I came back .."WHY would you want too!??"

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7164 by Jop
11echo,
I would consider lighting in the Pig Launcher/Receiver areas.
It is not always a matter of 'want to' but is sometimes a matter of 'need to'.
A facility or Pipeline organization could be 'batching' to meet delivery commitments and need to switch products in the middle of the night.
It could happen.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7165 by 11echo
This was a waste water pipeline, the pigging operation was for cleaning & smart pigging (once a year) only, and why would you want to do that at night? The other issue would be if this area was all lighted up at night, it could attract attention. "IF" lighting was required a mobile unit could easily towed in place and used as necessary, the client decided to omit this requirement.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds