Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Standpipe?

7 years 8 months ago #8233

  • Rickcarter
  • Rickcarter's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
What is the technical term for a pump suction pipe that enters the bottom of a tank and protrudes a foot or so inside to prevent pulling from the bottom of the tank?

Re: Standpipe? 7 years 8 months ago #6644

  • Jop
  • Jop's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1052
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Karma: 11
I have three (different) Technical Dictionary's. I checked all three of them plus Webster's. I could not find a definition in any of them that came close to what you have.

I do however, remember working on a horizontal vessel where the pump suction nozzles (out of the bottom of the vessel) had an extension up into the liquid with a Vortex Breaker on top of the projection. The the purpose of this extension was to prevent impurities from being sucked into the pump while supporting the vortex breaker.

I do not remember what we called it. I will do some more research and see if I find anything.

I found this:
http://www.oilngasseparator.info/oil-ha ... types.html

Look at the three examples on the bottom row - left side. They all appear to have an extension of the nozzle up into the tank/Vessel along with a "Cross Plate" Vortex Breaker on top. This is what I remember but here again, no name.

p. s.: this type of question would get more comments and responses if it were in the :"The Technical Forum"
Do it once and Do it Right

Re: Standpipe? 7 years 8 months ago #6646

  • Anton
  • Anton's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 579
  • Thank you received: 10
  • Karma: 3
** Moved from "Piping Lounge" to "The Technical Forum" **
- If you're the smartest person in the room ... you're in the wrong room.

Re: Standpipe? 7 years 8 months ago #6647

  • Flowr8
  • Flowr8's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 40
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
I don't think it has a specific name. I've always referred to this as an internal projection.

Re: Standpipe? 7 years 8 months ago #6649

  • shrivallabha
  • shrivallabha's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 149
  • Karma: 0
Does "Inserted Pipe" come closer than calling it 'standpipe' as standpipe already has generally accepted definition?

Re: Standpipe? 7 years 7 months ago #6653

  • 11echo
  • 11echo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 351
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 1
We do this type of thing all the time, however we don't have a "name" for a particular function or shape, we just call them "tank internals" ...and it's deal with on the tank appurtenance drawing and hinted at on the P&IDs.
Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds



Latest Jobs Feed

Feed not found.

Company News Feeds

Company News Feeds

Login Form

You are not logged in.