Piping stress

• Ali Imran
  • Ali Imran's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #7855 by Ali Imran
Piping stress was created by Ali Imran
Hi everyone,
i am Mech engr. & my company wants me to start stress analysis, so for transforming i badly need to know all the basic guidelines about Piping stress manually as well as of caesarII, so can any1 in this forum suggest me some genuine online material to learn the basics of piping stress analysis. plzzzzzz, i'm really in desperate need of it.....
Any help shall be highly appreciable.

IMRAN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #5840 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Piping stress
Unless you are working on a Nuclear Power Plant you do not need to do Stress Analysis on all the lines on the project.
1. You need to understand the Clients criteria for the project. What is the Design Code (ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3, etc) for the project and what does that Code say about Stress Analysis.

2. You need to understand your Company's thinking and requirements for Pipe Stress Analysis.

3. You need to understand the Scope of the project as it related to Pipe Stress Analysis. This means the total number of lines and a breakdown of the quantities by Operating Temperature, Operating Pressure, Material and Size grouping.

4. Next you need to document for the project which categories of lines require what type of attention by the Stress Engineer. To help with this I offer the following:

Pipe Stress Criteria
The question:
What are the criteria for which lines need formal stress calculation?”

My answer:
You will get lots of opinions on this one. Here is what I use and teach.

- “The 1500 rule”
(from David Diehl, COADE)
a. If the line size (nominal pipe size) times (x) the temperature (degrees F) are below 1500 then the line "may" not need formal stress analysis.
Example 3”(x) 400 degrees (F) = 1200

b. If the line size (nominal pipe size) times (x) the temperature (degrees F) are above1500 then the line "may" need formal stress analysis.
Example 4" (x) 400 degrees (F) = 1600

- If the line (regardless of temperature) connects to a pump, a compressor or other alignment sensitive equipment then it should be submitted for formal stress analysis.

- The "May" noted above relates to the application of good judgment when considering other factors such as metallurgy and the wall thicknesses above schedule 80.

5. You need to clearly understand the different levels of Pipe Stress Analysis that exist. Flexibility Analysis will come in a number of forms and should considered depending on the specific situations.
Forms:
- Visual Review
- Informal Calculations
- Formal Analysis for excessive stress caused by common factors (Temperature induced expansion, Dead/Live Loads)
- Special Analysis (i.e.: Analog studies for reciprocating compressors, seismic studies, Sea-Force studies for Offshore Platforms)

6. Then you need to look at the the pipe line categories for your project and consider all the previous steps along with any possible exceptions. Many engineering companies may set some minimum analysis criteria on a project by project basis but there is always the exception for even "That" project.
Exceptions may include:
- Very large diameter pipe
- Very heavy wall pipe
- Very thin wall pipe
- Exotic Alloy Pipe
- Attachment to strain sensitive equipment (Pumps, Glass lined vessels, etc.)
- Extremely low temperature (Cryogenic) systems
- Any pipe installed in Arctic locations
- All other lines below the stated minimum level on a job installed in a place like Oman or Kuwait

Even if the Code makes a recommendation on this subject each Piping Engineering Lead and the assigned Pipe Stress Engineer are responsible for the proper engineering and design of the project.

7. Now establish a "Pipe Stress Log" (Excel Spread Sheet) listing of all the lines you plan to "Look" at. The spread sheet should have the ability to identify, track and status each line as they travel through the Stress analysis process:
    Line Number
    Sheet Number
    Material
    Operating Temp
    Operating Pressure
    Stress Check Category (Visual, Informal, Formal, Special)
    Date submitted
    Date Returned
    Status (Approved, Revise & Resubmit, Other)
    Date resubmitted
    Status
    Final Sign-Off

8. Now you need to count the number of lines (by the type of handling) on the Pipe Stress Log and look at a realistic number of hours it will take for each type of handling. Then you need to look at the Project Schedule and see when your actual Pipe Stress work will start and when you must be done. How many hours are there? How many people will you have (just yourself or some help?) What other duties (that require hours) will you be involved in? Just for discussion here are some "Other" activities that might eat up your hours.
    Attend meetings
    Visit the jobsite
    Write a Specification (Expansion Joint, Constant Support Spring Hanger, etc>)
    Interface with the Structural Group
    Interface with the Pump Engineer
    Recycle of completed work (Design changes or late Client changes)
    Get sick and miss a few days of work

This is just a start and it does not address the actual technical aspects of Pipe Stress Analysis.

Please ask questions and let others here help you.

Do it once and Do it Right

• Ali Imran
  • Ali Imran's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #5841 by Ali Imran
Replied by Ali Imran on topic Re: Piping stress
Thank you very much Sir for the quickest response,
the elaboration you stated is really helpful for me to understand what i should do initially, thanx.

I'm working on a project which includes pipelines mostly of large Dia's, specific for transfreing black and white oil from jetty heads at ship berths(4 no's) to a manifold. The Clients specification - every line ahould undergo stress analysis.
I really seek guidance, i know that doing this job without proper knowledge is putting someone's life in danger....
But i'm confident of performing it safely if i do it with care & guidance...... I would be pleased and if you initiate me technically....

regards,

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #5846 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Piping stress
Ali,
Please E-mail me:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I have some things that may be of help

Jop

Do it once and Do it Right

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6370 by piolopaskual
Replied by piolopaskual on topic Re: Piping stress
xxxxxxxxxxx

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6396 by banerj1s
Replied by banerj1s on topic Re: Piping stress
Jop precise answer ... ur my favourite

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds